Nov 3, 2018 by Evan Bailey
The parts for the Cannondale build had pretty much all arrived and I looking into the rear derailleur hanger which was bent pretty bad! This is pretty common and by the looks of that rear derailleur I could tell the kid laid it down on the right side a few times. Derailleur hangers are not built that strong on purpose because they are designed to give with force and thus hopefully protect the frame. I thought it wasn’t worth saving and decided to order one off of ebay for $15.
The hanger showed up and had the same shape but came with longer bolts. I thought it wouldn’t matter too much and put it in place to install. I quickly realized the the threaded holes did not line up! No! The listing had stated it was compatible with this Cannondale Street 24 and it looked the same minus the mounting holes. I contacted the seller and he was nice enough to even do some research and found that Cannondale made a mid-year derailleur hanger change to the mounting and he did not have the correct one. He was super nice and gave me a refund but I shipped his hanger back to him anyways since it wasn’t really his fault.
I was able to find what I thought was probably the correct hanger but it was like $25 and I thought maybe I could bend the hanger back and just replace one of the stripped bolts. I believe I was successful and was able to straighten out the hanger. I found a bolt at Ace Hardware for like $.60 that worked. Problem solved.
I then decided I probably should clean up the rear Freewheel hub. I realized my cheap bike tool kit did not have a freewheel tool and had to order one for $8 on Amazon. I also ordered some Evapo-rust cleaner that I heard worked pretty well removing rust from parts.
Since I ditched the beat up grip shifter, the existing handlebar grips were too small to work so they had to go. I decided since I was doing a red crank I would go with the red accent color combo and get some red accented grips. I found some on ebay for $6 that would work.
While I was waiting for some things to arrive I decided to remove the bottom bracket and see how it was performing. Not very well I discovered and was kind of stiff. I debated on replacing it for like $15-20 but decided to just clean it up and grease what I could and make it work.
All the parts finally arrived and I decided to install the new narrow wide chainring. I quickly discovered that if I wanted to mount in on the inside of the crank spider it was not going to work due to the shoulder height of backside of the crank near the holes. Bummer. So I decided initially to mount in on the front of the spider. Then I started doing a little bit of research and decided that almost everybody mounts in on the inside to have better distributed chain line with the rear freewheel. I decided to make the crank work and just filed down the spider shoulders and got the chainring to fit.
Started to put some of the pieces on and then kind of forgot that the right rear brake was locked up since I got the thing. The previous owner acted as if it wasn’t that big of a deal and I initially thought that it wasn’t either. Well, these cheapo Promax brakes apparently use some cheapo brake cable that has frozen up and will not budge. I took everything apart and then realized I either will have to replace the housing and cable (which isn’t as cheap as you would think) or buy some cheap new mechanical disc brakes.
Hmmm. not sure which route I am going to take yet but I will need to make some decisions pretty quick! The project continues.
Project Cannondale 24 Costs:
Total Upgrades: $114.60
Total Costs: $234.60
Misc expenses that are partial use and will be used on other projects